Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How has your relationship changed after having a baby? More stress? Less Sex? How much $$ are you spending?

My husband and I are thinking about having a baby. I've stopped birth control last month, bought all the pregnancy and newborn books in the world, but I want to hear first hand, how having a baby affected your relationship with your spouse, or boyfriend. Or wife.. I know it's hard, but new parents say it's always worth it. I'm not looking for general answers like that. I'm looking for more of, how much less sex are you having? Are you still having body issues post baby, and does that affect your romantic life? do you still think your spouse is sexy? Do you fight over money more? And would you have waited, knowing what you know now? I am 22, my spouse and I have been together since I was 17 and married since I was 19. He's about to be 24. We own a home, and work f/t (the reason I include this, is b/c I feel that we may be more mature than some our age, being in the ';real world'; paying bills and dont party and such all the time) although I would like to also know how you have somewhat of a resemblance of a social life after the baby comes?) And per month about how much extra to you spend, and on what? (not including daycare, or formula.. i would prefer to breastfeed if i can, %26amp; we have a family member who will watch baby). Also, we have great insurance I will pay only $25 for my first obgyn visit, and $100 for the hospital stay when baby comes (we have blue cross blue shield). And for the moms out there, was your spouse as supportive as he said he'd be once the baby came? (did he help around the house, take the baby when you were exhausted, etc). I know this is alot... sorry. I'm just really curious!How has your relationship changed after having a baby? More stress? Less Sex? How much $$ are you spending?
How much less sex are you having? The same as before... We just do it when they are asleep in their bedrooms.





Are you still having body issues post baby, and does that affect your romantic life? Doesn't apply to us because we took custody of kids and then adopted them later.





Do you still think your spouse is sexy? Yes. :)





Do you fight over money more? No. He understands that the kids and our needs come before wants. Make sure your husband is on the same page as you about finances before becoming pregnant. That will help a lot.





And would you have waited, knowing what you know now? Again, our situation was/is different. It was unexpected though because we didn't have the 9 months of pregnancy to get prepared. We would not change it for the world though. Our kids are the best thing that happened to us. They helped us to come together as a family and we have a much better relationship because of it. We were 17 %26amp; 18 at the time that I took custody of the kids. We were working and in school at the time. We are 20 %26amp; 21 now.





Social life after kids...


We never partied and stuff anyways so we didn't have to give that up. Our best friends have kids also so we go out together but go to kid friendly places.





How much more we spent...





We spent about $100 a month on diapers but both of them were in diapers at the same time. We spent about $100 a month on clothes and toys. Sometimes it was a little more or a little less depending on growth spurts. We shopped at Walmart though instead of expensive stores.





Was your spouse as supportive as he said he'd be once the baby came? (did he help around the house, take the baby when you were exhausted, etc).





I am a SAHM so I do most of it. He does help when he has a day off though. He is very supportive and helps when I am sick and/or exhausted from long days.





It has worked really well with my husband and I but it doesn't always. You need to talk to him and make sure that you are on the same page when it comes to household chores, taking care of the baby, financial situations and anything and everything else that will affect you more when the baby arrives. Good luck.How has your relationship changed after having a baby? More stress? Less Sex? How much $$ are you spending?
I'm 19 and my partner is 20, we have a six month old daughter.One thing I will suggest is that you and your husband talk before you get pregnant. Decide how household chores will be divided up. Make sure he is going to be an active father, you should both learn how to be a parent together. My partner does not help around the house and he does not help with our daughter. She was four months old before I convinced him to change her nappy. He has not once gotten up to her during the night and he will not take her if I am stressed or if I just want to sleep. You need to talk and make sure he is actually going to be supportive and help you.


We have a lot less sex, we probably do it maybe once a fortnight but I think that is because I am overweight and not very comfortable with it. We fight over money alot because he just cannot understand that the things we need come before the things we want. As long as you buy everything baby needs before you give birth then you will only need to buy diapers every week to start with. We were probably spending $80 (Australian) a month on nappies. Since you want to breastfeed that should be all you really need to buy in the beginning. Keep in mind that a breastfed baby poops a lot (and I mean a LOT) more than a formula fed baby and uses more nappies. Babies only get more expensive as they get older. We now spend $120 a month on the things she needs. That is nappies, formula and baby food. On top of that I buy her clothes and toys but I'm not sure how much I spend.


I still have friends that come around and see me and I have a night out with friends probably once a month.


I don't really know about insurance as in Australia all healthcare is basically free.


You need to make sure you and your partner speak about EVERYTHING before you get pregnant. Something as simple as who is going to cook dinner can become a HUGE deal after you have a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment